This zesty lemon rice is the perfect summer side dish! It’s creamy, savory, and packed with bright citrus flavor! Serve it with your favorite fish or meat dishes for a crave-worthy meal.
If you’re looking for more flavorful rice dishes to accompany all of your favorite dinners, I’ve got you covered! You’ll have to try this Mexican rice, dirty rice, or cheesy zucchini rice! They’re always a hit with my family and I know yours will love them just as much!
Greek Lemon Rice Recipe
One of my favorite things about getting Greek takeout is the incredible lemon rice that it comes with. I always want more of it! It’s creamy, savory, and packed with the best lemony flavor! You can easily recreate those flavors at home with just a few simple ingredients. And if you’re not convinced already, it only takes 5 minutes to prepare!
This delicious lemon rice comes together with a mix of long grain rice, butter, chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a couple extra seasonings to take the flavor to the next level. All you’ve got to do is pop these ingredients into a pot and then let it simmer for 20 minutes! It’s so easy and hands-off! It gives me a chance to work on the main dish while it cooks.
All Ingredients Needed
This is everything you’ll need for this delicious, lemony side to come to life. With how simple the ingredient list is, you’ll want to make lemon rice all the time! You can find exact measurements for each ingredient in the recipe card below.
- Chicken Broth: This is the liquid your rice will cook in. It adds the best savory flavor! You can also substitute this for vegetable broth.
- Uncooked Rice: I used long grain! You can also use jasmine or basmati rice.
- Butter: Adds creaminess and rich flavor.
- Garlic Powder: I love adding garlic powder because it gives the rice an extra boost of savory flavor.
- Lemon Zest: I like it lemony! Add less or more to your liking.
- Lemon Juice: This is a recipe that you’ll always want to use fresh lemon juice for. It makes the flavor so much better!
- Fresh Basil: You guys know I love me some fresh herbs! Adding chopped basil is a picture-perfect finishing touch and gives the dish a little extra flavor.
How to Make Greek Lemon Rice
It doesn’t get any easier than this! That’s why lemon rice is one of my go-to side dishes. It’s just as simple as throwing boxed rice mix on the stove.
- Add Ingredients to Pot: In a medium pot with a lid, combine the chicken broth, rice, butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Boil: Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer: Cover the pot and allow the rice to simmer slowly for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add Garnish: Fluff with a fork, season with salt if needed, and garnish with fresh minced basil.
This is a great side dish to use with all of your favorite Greek and Mediterranean recipes! It’s the perfect side for meat and fish in general. The bright, zesty flavor is such a great contrast! Not sure what to make? Here are a few of my favorite Mediterranean-inspired entrées to get you started.
You can serve your lemon rice as-is or throw in additional ingredients for a hearty pilaf. Feel free to mix and match to your liking!
I always make a big batch of lemon rice so that I can enjoy it throughout the week! It keeps really well and is perfect for a quick and tasty lunch.
- In the Refrigerator: Store any leftover lemon rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: To quickly reheat your lemon rice, transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle a bit of water over it, and cook for 30-second intervals or until it’s warmed through. Stir occasionally to make sure it’s evenly cooked. You can also reheat your rice on the stove, adding a sprinkle of water, then warming on medium heat. Stir occasionally.
In a medium pot with a lid, combine the chicken broth, rice, butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cover the pot and allow the rice to simmer slowly for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
Fluff with a fork, season with salt if needed, and garnish with fresh minced basil.
Calories203kcal (10%)Carbohydrates38g (13%)Protein4g (8%)Fat3g (5%)Saturated Fat2g (10%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.2gMonounsaturated Fat1gTrans Fat0.1gCholesterol10mg (3%)Sodium461mg (19%)Potassium85mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A90IU (2%)Vitamin C3mg (4%)Calcium19mg (2%)Iron0.5mg (3%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.